Policy for Norwegian domain names .NO
The registration of Norwegian domain name .NO does not provide an ownership but a right of use only. For as long as the Norwegian domain is registered, the right of use is sustained. All .NO registrations are subject to Norwegian law. The legal authority handling any disagreements and/or disputes is Trondheim District Court.
General information for Norwegian domain name applicants
.NO domain name must consist of minimum 2 and maximum 63 characters.
The following characters are permitted in the Norwegian domain name: letters a-z, digits (0-9), hyphens, and country-specific characters provided in the following table.
|Name of letter||Unicode||Name of letter||Unicode|
|a with acute accent||á||00E1||o with acute accent||ó||00F3|
|a with grave accent||à||00E0||o with grave accent||ò||00F2|
|a with umlaut||ä||00E4||o with circumflex||ô||00F4|
|c with caron||č||010D||o with umlaut||ö||00F6|
|c with cedilla||ç||00E7||s with caron||š||0161|
|d with crossbar||đ||0111||t with crossbar||ŧ||0167|
|e with acute accent||é||00E9||u with umlaut||ü||00FC|
|e with grave accent||è||00E8||z with caron||ž||017E|
|e with circumflex||ê||00EA||æ||æ||00E6|
|n with acute accent||ń||0144||å||å||00E5|
|n with tilde||ñ||00F1|
A letter or a digit must be the last graphic symbol of the Norwegian domain name. Registration of certain reserved or prohibited Norwegian domain names may not be completed.
Requirements for organizations applying for Norwegian domain names
The applying organization must be an organization registered in Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities. The organization must provide evidence of its physical presence and a Norwegian postal address. An organization may hold as many as 100 Norwegian domain names with .NO at any time and up to 5 geographical domain names.
The following is the list of forms of organizations allowed to apply:
- Ansvarlig selskap med delt ansvar (DA)
- Ansvarlig selskap med solidarisk ansvar (ANS)
- Annet foretak iflg. særskilt lov
- Europeisk øk. foretaksgruppe
- Fylkeskommunalt foretak
- Gjensidig forsikringselskap
- Interkommunalt selskap
- Kommunalt foretak
- Kirkelig fellesråd
- Norskregistrert utenlandsk foretak
- Selskap med begrenset ansvar
Official embassies of foreign countries in Norway as well as official committees are considered independent organizations and may register their Norwegian domain names under .NO even though they do not belong to the forms of organizations listed above. They must provide their organization number and a written approval from the governmental authority to prove their status.
Furthermore, for organizations that are registered in the “annen juridisk” person category and that cannot register under any other category, the Norwegian domain registrar can make exceptions upon fulfillment of the following conditions:
- The organization is found to be clearly independent, incontrovertibly conducts genuine operations and/or follows the requirements of activities and reality according to the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities regulations as mandated by the organization’s statute. The organization is required to document its independence and operations/activities providing any pertinent records documents (i.e. statutes, formation/incorporation documents, etc.).
- The organization provides written explanation from the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities why the organization is not allowed to register within any category in the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities along with the confirmation that the organization must be registered within the “annen juridisk person” category. The pertinent documentation must be dated no earlier than six months before the domain name registration application is received by the Norwegian domain registrar.
The Norwegian Domain Authority is not obliged to conduct any independent inquiry before making a decision on an application. An organization whose application was not approved by the Norwegian Domain Authority may file a new application no sooner than one year after the initial denial by the Norwegian Domain Authority.
Requirements for private individuals
Individual applicants can only register Norwegian domain names under the PRIV.NO domain. An applicant must be 18 years or older, a resident of Noway with a Norwegian postal address and must be registered in the National Registry (Folkeregisteret) with a Norwegian national identity number (fødselsnummer). Up to 5 PRIV.NO domain names are available for a private individual at any given time.
Requirements for the name server
To register a Norwegian domain name, at least two name servers (set of machines used for each Norwegian domain name to answer inquiries about sub-domains and addresses within the domain name) must be specified. The name servers must be operative and set up correctly for the specified Norwegian domain name at the time of filing an application. Only fully delegated .NO domains can be registered. The Norwegian domain name and the corresponding IP address are used to identify the name servers for the specific domain name. Additional technical requirements for name servers (checked at the time of application and periodically thereafter) are as follows:
- Each Norwegian domain must be serviced by at least two separate name servers that operate on physically separate machines.
- The reply from the name servers assigned to a domain must be consistent with the data provided in the Norwegian domain name application. Please note that the names as well as the number of name servers must be the same.
- All specified name servers must send an authoritative response for the domain.
- Name servers must have permanent Internet connection and fixed IPv4 address within a stable and dependable infrastructure. IPv6 address is also allowed provided it is permanently assigned.
- The correct and functioning email address of the name server administrator must be provided for the SOA (Start of Authority) record for each domain.
- The name server’s serial number must match the serial number provided in the SOA record.
- It is obligatory to use the canonical name in an NS (Name Server) record on the right-hand side. An alias (CNAME) cannot be used in NS and MX records.
- Norwegian host addresses that include either national characters (IDN-names) or their corresponding ACE equivalents may not be registered.
It is allowed for someone other than the applicant to run the name servers.
.NO domain names available to everyone
As a result of the public consultation, in which the majority were in favour of making the top-level domain .NO available to private individuals, everyone in Norway will be able to register domain names directly under the .NO extension beginning 17 June 2014.
Until now, registration of domain names directly within the .NO extension has been available to businesses and other organizations while a separate domain, .PRIV.NO, has been reserved for individuals. In 2013, the Norwegian Domain Authority proposed opening the .NO domain to individuals which was followed by a public consultation. Consequently, nea [...]
Numerous Norwegian businesses choose .NO domain name for branding and marketing showing their bond with Norway and trust in the No [...]
The Norwegian Post and Telecommunications Authority has concluded an audit of the security and stability of the .NO top level doma [...]